Welcome to Concert Choir!
We are going to have a great year together making music!
- BE PREPARED
All students should in class on time, every day, with their music, binder, and pencil. Please label your binder with your name and homeroom. You are responsible for all music that is given to you, so please take care of it. No food or gum is allowed in rehearsal, but water is encouraged!
- DO YOUR BEST WORK
All students should consistently participate in all class activities, with a positive attitude.
- Demonstrate readiness to sing at the start of class
- Contribute to a positive learning environment
- Demonstrate proper rehearsal etiquette (engaged in the learning without being disruptive)
- Demonstrates teamwork and a collaborative effort
- Demonstrates consistent effort in the development of proper vocal technique
- Demonstrates a willingness to try new things and take risks
- CONCERT PERFORMANCES
Concerts are not the most important part of the learning process, but it is an expected part of the process. It’s your chance to share your hard work and to experience the benefits of that hard work coming to fruition. You are expected to attend the following performances:
- Fall Concert, Part 1 – Wednesday, November 7th at 7:00 PM *PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS A CHANGE FROM THE PRINTED DISTRICT CALENDAR*
- Performance at PTSA Barnes and Noble Event – December, TBA
- MHS Choral Festival (grades 5-12) - Thursday, February 28th at 7:00PM
- Winter Concert, Part 1 – Tuesday, March 19thth at 7:00 PM
- NYSSMA Majors Competition - Spencerport High School, Time TBA
- Final MHS Choral Concert – Wednesday, June 12th at 7:00 PM
- Graduation – Saturday, June 29th at 2:00 PM
Concert Choir will also be taking an optional trip in February. More details to come soon!
- CONCERT ATTIRE
All ladies in our select ensembles will wear matching black gowns purchased from Incognito Menswear and Tuxedo Shop. The company comes into our rehearsals in mid-September for fittings and orders. The cost for the dresses is $69. The gentlemen wear tuxedos. Pricing will be $89.95 for the yearly rental and $179.95 for the purchase. Shoes (for men) may be rented for $20 or purchased for $35. We will let you know as soon as the date is secured for the fittings.
Our chorus curriculum will focus on proper physical alignment and posture for singing, controlled breathing, vocal technique and tone quality, ear training, music analysis, sight reading, critical thinking and evaluation, and repertoire from a variety of time periods, composers, and genres.
Grading for this Course:
Grading is based mostly on the students’ daily participation in chorus and demonstration of progress working toward the curricular goals. Quarterly grades will be calculated as follows:
Daily participation and Effort – 70%
Writing/Analyzing/Reflection – 10%
Part Checks – 10%
Sight Reading – 10%
* Concert attendance is included in the participation and effort grade. If a student needs to miss a concert for emergency reasons (illness, death in the family, etc.), the student can complete a written assignment to earn partial credit for concert participation. *
All students in Concert Choir are eligible to audition for jazz, show, or a cappella choirs. I will be posting audition information on the bulletin board and my website very soon. Students who study privately also have the option to sing at NYSSMA Solo Fest. Please see my website for dates of other extended opportunities for vocal students.
Any student that is in chorus is invited to participate in the MHS Prism concert in December or the student Music Recital in the spring. Any choir student who takes private lessons or voice class is also invited to participate in the winter or spring NYSSMA solo festivals. See the attached department calendar for more specifics.
The key to success for our students is clear and consistent communication. I always aim to work together with students and parents to keep communication open and positive. I encourage students to be pro-active with communication. This will always help to avoid conflicts and to come to a positive solution as soon as possible.
I use the REMIND app to communicate with students and families.
You can choose to receive email or text message notification options.
Please sign up by texting @mhscc2018 to the number 81010
or by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org
This group is for STUDENTS ONLY
Parents should sign up for the PARENT REMIND group by
texting @mhscc2018p to the number 81010
or by emailing to email@example.com
Always feel free to contact me via Remind, Email, or Phone: