2011-2012 Budget Guidelines
The Board of Education adopted the 2011-2012 Budget Guidelines on November 22, 2010. Due to the importance of each guideline, the following bullets are NOT listed in a specific prioritized order.
* Develop a STUDENT BASED BUDGET focused on excellence in student learning and achievement for today and into the future.
* Support continued implementation of District initiatives in professional learning, use of data, and social/emotional learning:
• Use data to critically assess programs/ services and to inform instructional practices
• Develop and implement rigorous 21st Century curriculum
• Implement school-based action plans and committee work in alignment with District initiatives
* Provide for development of new future-focused strategic initiatives resulting in continued excellence for students, staff, and the District in the second decade of the 21st Century.
• Conduct a research and planning process resulting in new strategic initiatives
• Engage stakeholders in the strategic planning process
• Support action research and benchmarking activities
* Meet legal mandates and contractual obligations:
• Provide for fiscal accountability and effective internal controls
• Provide for safety, security and facilities management
* Provide for fiscal stability into the future:
• Maintain financially prudent and sustainable reserve accounts
• Protect the community’s investment in facilities and infrastructure
* Manage the impact of investment in education with sensitivity to limited community resources:
• Seek opportunities to maximize current revenue and develop new revenue sources
• To the degree possible, continue to offset new costs related to changes in programs/services with selected commensurate reductions
• Seek cost efficiencies to supplement current practices and to further address the costly impact of unfunded mandates
• Balance community expectations for services and programs, while being cognizant of changes in property values, income levels, and economic uncertainties
• Manage impact of fluctuations in revenue sources