Parents: Check for scholarships at your place of employment, unions, banks/credit unions, professional/club/membership affiliations, places of worship, Greek life affiliations, etc.
College Specific Scholarships:
Merit Based Scholarships: Most colleges automatically consider applicants for merit based scholarships when students apply. Many students receive merit based scholarships - from the top of the class to average students. No special scholarship application is required, but to be considered for a merit based scholarship, the college application deadline is often November 1st or December 1st.
Other College Specific Scholarships: Most colleges offer additional scholarships such as presidential scholarships, dean scholarships, major related scholarships, audition based scholarships, diversity scholarships, first in college scholarships, etc. These scholarships usually require an application and possibly letters of recommendation and/or an essay. Be sure to check each college that interests you to see what scholarship opportunities are available and what the deadlines are. We encourage you to apply to as many as you can.
AIA Rochester & Architectural Foundation of Greater Rochester Scholarship: For graduating high school seniors accepted to an NAAB accredited college. Amounts vary. See Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for an application. Deadline is 3/31/20.
Association of Fire Districts - Ned Carter Scholarship: Senior who is related to a firefighter, is a firefighter or is in a fire station exploring post. Student must be pursuing a career in a community-service related field. Four one-time $1,500 scholarships. See Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for an application or go to https://www.afdsny.org/general_information.php Deadline is 2/22/20.
Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) has a number of scholarships. See Mrs. Tyler in the College/Career Center for more information on the DAR scholarships:
- Polly F. Burke Memorial Scholarship (Irondequoit Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution): For high school seniors who meet the following criteria: an American citizen, planning to attend any institute of higher learning, an outstanding academic record, and demonstrated commitment to community service. Applicants must provide 3 letters of recommendation, transcript, and personal statement. $1,000. Deadline 3/1/20.
Delta Delta Delta Sorority, Rochester Alumnae Chapter: For senior girls only. Must demonstrate good scholastic ability, involvement in school and community activities, 3 letters of recommendation and a personal essay are required. $1,500. Applications and supplemental materials must be submitted electronically at https://goo.gl/forms/dKAfy2yMnmi1kD603. Deadline is 3/30/2020.
ESL Federal Credit Union: For members of ESL Credit Union. For seniors with scholastic excellence, extracurricular activities and community service. Transcript, 2 letters of recommendation and an essay. $2,000 to ten students. For more information and to apply, go to: https://www.esl.org/community/esl-in-the-community/scholarships. Deadline is 3/2/20.
Family First Federal Credit Union: For seniors who are members of Family First FCU, who plan to attend an accredited college or university. Selection will be based on academic performance, community involvement, extracurricular activities and essay responses. See Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for an application or visit: https://home.familyfirstny.com/2019/11/08/scholarship-opportunities/.
$1,000 (2). Deadline is 3/13/20.
Fireman's Association of the State of New York, Gerard J. Buckenmeyer FASNY Volunteer Scholarship: For seniors who must be a member in good standing of FASNY or have a parent/legal guardian who is a member. Must also have served as a current junior firefighter, Explorer scout or volunteer EMS. Students must have a resume, two letters of recommendation, acceptance letter, and a one-page essay. For more information and to apply, visit www.fasny.com/scholarship. Up to (25) $1,500 scholarships across the state. Deadline is 3/15/20.
Get-it-Straight: Seniors must be a current or previous patient of the orthodontic office. Student must have done community service in any area that was of benefit to others or makes a contribution to society. Students must write an essay on their community service experience. See Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for an application. $500. Applications and essays are due back to Mrs. Tyler by 3/31/2020.
Greater Rochester Area Payroll Association (GRAPA): Scholarship available to college-bound high school seniors, with a minimum of a B average, planning to pursue a career in business. Deadline is 4/9/2020. See Mrs. Tyler in Counseling for more information and an application.
Harvard-Radcliffe Club of Rochester Annual Essay Contest: For students in grades 10-12. Submit a 1000-word essay on the topic: "Failure is Impossible" (Susan B. Anthony). First prize $250, second prize $100, third prize $50. Children of members of the Harvard-Radcliffe Club of Rochester are not eligible to enter. Deadline is 3/15/2020. For more information, see Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office.
Hearing Loss Association of America, Inc. Rochester Chapter: One-time scholarship award of $1000 to be given to a Greater Rochester area high school senior with hearing loss who is pursuing postsecondary education or vocational training. For an application, please see Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling office. For more information and a printable application, go to https://www.hearinglossrochester.org/forms-surveys-studies. Deadline is 4/3/2020.
IBERO Hispanic Scholarship: For college-bound Hispanic seniors with a 3.0 GPA in core subjects. One parent must be Hispanic. See Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for more information and an application. Deadline is 3/6/20.
Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship: Minority students who shows leadership potential, dedication to community service and financial need. Must have a minimum SAT score of 1000 or a composite ACT score of 21. Up to $30,000 over four years. https://www.jackierobinson.org/apply/?bblinkid=184889171&bbemailid=16852183&bbejrid=1218609486. Deadline is 2/1/20.
Katherine M. Reichel Award: The Alpha Alpha Chapter of the Delta Kappa Gamma Society of Women Educators offers a 4 year renewable scholarship to young ladies planning to attend the College of Brockport in anticipation of becoming a teacher or pursuing an educational career. Selected high school female students will receive a $1000.00 award for each of their four years at Brockport as well as benefit from mentoring and support from Alpha Alpha members. Eligibility requirements and application at https://brockport.academicworks.com/opportunities/7350 . Deadline is 2/15/2020.
Molly Efron Technical Women’s Scholarship presented by The Women’s Alliance of Xerox: The $1,000.00 scholarship is to support a female high school senior attending a STEM program at an accredited four-year college or university in the fall. Winners will be selected based on GPA, letter of recommendation and essay. Preference will be given to an individual with financial need. Use the following link for the online application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeIwQYwAIU5Cb2hC-Mdt40Lo9HT-OQOFPq8g55L2-S2AvlKYg/viewform?usp=sf_link. Deadline is 4/10/2020.
New York State Excelsior Scholarship: Tuition-free degree program. In order to apply, students must:
- Attend a SUNY or CUNY two- or four-year degree program
- Plan to live and work in New York following graduation for the length of time they participate in the scholarship program
- Adjust gross family income of $110,000 or less
For more information, please visit: https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-free-degree-program-excelsior-scholarship
New York State STEM Incentive Program: Provides a full SUNY tuition scholarship to the top 10% of students in each NYS high school if they pursue a STEM degree and agree to live in NYS and work in a STEM field for five years after graduation. Rules and information can be found at: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid/nys-grants-scholarships-awards/nys-science-technology-engineering-and-math-incentive-scholarships-service-terms-and-conditions.html
New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): This program helps NY residents pay for tuition with a grant. There are specific income requirements. For more information, please visit: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/apply-for-financial-aid/nys-tap.html
NYSIR (New York Schools Insurance Reciprocal): All are due 3/27/20. See Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for more information and applications:
- NYSIR Bambino Scholarship: is available to a special education senior who is college bound. The goal of this scholarship is to reward a student who has worked through his or her special challenges to complete high school and gain acceptance into a college or university. The scholarship is in memory of Cristin Ann Bambino. Nine recipients will receive between $3,000 - $5,000.
- NYSIR Jensen Scholarship: is available to senior students who have excelled in design in their high school career. The goal of this scholarship is to reward students who have shown interest and promise in design and who wishes to pursue this path in college. Applicants for this scholarship must complete an essay, not to exceed 650 words, that explains: A way they would design, or adapt an existing design, for a specific purpose, how this design or adaptation could be accomplished and what impact the design has had. One recipient will receive $5,000 and a second one will receive $3,000.
- NYSIR Joseph Goncalves Student Humanitarian Scholarship: is available to a senior student who demonstrates an involvement and work for a cause or organization that promotes social justice, equal opportunity, relief of human suffering or other aspiration generally understood to be within the meaning of humanitarian activity throughout their high school career. Diversity is encouraged. This scholarship is in honor of NYSIR's former executive Director, Joseph Goncalves. Applicants for this scholarship must complete an essay, not to exceed 650 words, that explains: his or her experience serving others during their high school careers, how that service has benefited others, what that experience has personally meant to the applicant, the essay also may include mention of inspirational role models. One recipient will receive $5,000 and a second one will receive $3,000.
NYWEA: New York Water Environment Association Scholarships: For seniors. There multiple scholarships available from $2,500 - $10,000. Must submit transcripts, two letters of recommendation and required essays. For students who will be enrolled in a college/university in an environmentally related program. http://www.nywea.org/SitePages/Scholarships/default.aspx. Deadline is 2/28/20.
OppU Achievers Scholarship: $2500 Scholarship awarded four times a year to Seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.0. To apply, students submit a short essay online. Scholarship decisions are based solely on an applicant’s essay response. Winners for the OppU Achievers Scholarship are selected four times a year, with submission deadlines on September 30, December 31, March 31, and June 30. For more information and an application, go to https://www.opploans.com/scholarship/
Pittsford Federal Credit Union: For seniors who have a PFCU account in their name and plan to attend an accredited college or university. Selection will be based upon academic performance, community involvement, extracurricular activities and essay responses. For more information and an application, see Mrs. Tyler in The Counseling Office or visit https://www.pittsfordfcu.org/Scholarship. Please note that the application will first go to the New York Credit Union Association Rochester Chapter and will then be sent on to PFCU. PFCU will give out Five $1,000 scholarships. Deadline is 2/28/20.
Polish Heritage Society of Rochester Scholarship: For seniors of Polish descent. Up to 10 $4,000 scholarships will be awarded. Apply online at www.polishheritagerochester.org or see Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for an application. Deadline: 2/1/20.
Purple Justice Scholarship: National Center for Missing & Exploited Children of NY (NCMEC/NY) is offering a $500 scholarship to seniors interested in Criminal Justice. See Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for more information. Deadline is 4/30/20.
Reliant Community Credit Union Donald K. Rhine College Scholarship Program: Applicants must be a Reliant member, be a HS Senior, demonstrate the credit union philosophy of "people helping people"; play an active role in your community through community service; demonstrate high achievement in academic performance and activities. For more information and application go to https://www.reliantcu.com/about-us/scholarships Deadline is 2/14/2020.
The Rochester Area Community Foundation: RACF manages and awards over 1,000 scholarships. Some of the criteria used are: county/town of residence, ethnicity, academic interest area, company/employer, club/organization involvement. Requirements and awards vary by the scholarship. For more information, please visit: https://www.racf.org/Scholarships/.
- Joel Ayite Ajavon Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For seniors interested in studying science, technology, engineering, math or nursing at a two-year community college in Western New York. $1,000 - $1,500. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Clifford B. Bushnell Scholarship (RACF): For female Urban League Black Scholars who are graduating high school seniors pursuing post-secondary education. Beginning 2020l offered in even years only. Deadline is 5/1/2020.
- Elvira Caroselli Creative Spirit Award. For high school juniors and seniors in Monroe County who demonstrate a creative spirit. Minimum amount $250. Information about how to apply at https://www.racf.org/Scholarships/Scholarship-Database?s=1017 Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Frank Commisso Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursing post-secondary education. $6,000 split between two or more recipients. Deadline 5/1/2020.
- Country Club of Rochester Sam Urzetta Schlarship (RACF): For caddies at or employees of the Country Club of Rochester planning to attend a 2- or 4-year college or vocational/technical school. Number and size of awards vary; minimum $500. Deadline 5/1/2020.
- Susan A. Cowell Scholarship (RACF): For students who identify as LGBTQ and are pursuing post-secondary education in fields aligned with public health, nonprofit administration, or social justice activism, including social activism through the arts. One award of $1000-1500. Deadline 6/15/2020.
- Molly Efron Scholarship (RACF): For female seniors pursuing a degree in science, technology, engineering or math at a four-year college or university. Two awards of $1,000 each. Deadline 4/10/2020.
- GardenScape Professional Association/Ted Burnett Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For horticulture/landscaping students residing in the Genesee-Finger Lakes region and pursuing post-secondary education. Number of awards and amounts vary; awards range from $600 to $1500. Deadline 2/4/2020.
- Lorraine Halsch Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For students who have overcome adversity and are pursuing post-secondary education. $3,000 renewable for four years. May be split between two or three recipients. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- William Jackson Hawley Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors in Monroe County who have a parent undergoing cancer treatment or recently died from cancer. One award of $3000; may be split between two or three recipients. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Hickey-Freeman Tailored Clothing, Inc. James J. Monley Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For dependent children of Hickey-Freeman Tailored Clothing, Inc. employees pursuing post-secondary education at an accredited 2- or 4-yerar college or university. Three awards: $5000, $2500, $1000. Deadline 6/1/2020.
- Louis P. and Betty A. Iacona Nursing Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors pursuing a career in nursing. Number of awards and amounts vary; minimum $1000. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Rodney B. Janes Business, Vocational or Technical Award (RACF): For younger adult students (between the ages of 16 and 30) residing in and attending or entering post-secondary business, vocational or technical school or programs in Monroe County, NY. Two awards of to $2000 each; award may not exceed cost of tuition/program/course). Deadline is 4/15/2020.
- Jennifer Grimes Lindley Scholarship (RACF): For female seniors planning to pursue a degree in engineering. Two $1,000 awards. Recipients will also receive membership to the American Association of University Women (AAUW). Deadline is 5/1/2020.
- Gay R. Maney Reach for the Green Scholarship (RACF): For seniors residing in the city of Rochester who have participated in any type of golf related program and plan to pursue a college education. Two awards up to $2,000 each for four years. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Erin Marie Masling Scholarship (RACF): For seniors who are pursuing a post-secondary education despite the effects of cystic fibrosis or another chronic medical condition or illness. Multiple awards of a minimum of $500. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- William E. McKnight Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For Urban League Black Scholar seniors pursuing post-secondary education at a four-year college. Up to $2,500, renewable for up to four years. Deadline 4/10/2020.
- Monroe Tractor Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors and current college undergraduate students interested in studying agriculture or agriculture management. Various awards. Deadline 2/15/2020.
- James R. Moran Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors who identify as LGBTQ and are pursuing post-secondary education. One award of $1000. Deadline 6/15/2020.
- Nautilus Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursuing a degree in architecture, construction, construction management, a related field or a program leading to teacher certification in a STEM field. $1,250. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- New York State Restaurant association (Rochester Chapter) Scholarship (RACF): For students attending programs in the food service industry. Number of awards and amounts vary; maximum award $2000. Deadline 3/10/2020.
- Notre Dame Club of Rochester – Social Concerns Scholarship (RACF): For students participating in the Notre Dame Social Concerns program. $1,500. Deadline: Contact the Notre Dame Center for Social Concerns in January.
- Joseph Parungao Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For vocal students enrolled in at The Hochstein School. Up to four awards of $450 each.
- Rochester Cavalry Troops Scholarship (RACF): For soldiers, their spouses, and their dependent children who are connected to units, detachments and elements of the New York Army National Guard located in Monroe County. Number of awards and amounts may vary; historically up to $10,000. Not to exceed tuition costs. Deadline 6/15/2020
- Rochester LGBTQ Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors who identify as LGBTQ and are pursuing post-secondary education. Multiple awards, amounts vary; minimum $1000. Deadline 6/15/2020.
- Rochester Regional Joint Board, Workers United – Abraham D. Chatman Scholarship (RACF): For dependent children (as described per union rules) of members of local unions affiliated with Rochester Regional Joint Board, Workers United. Up to three awards of $2000 each. Some awards are renewable. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Rochester Telecommunications Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursuing a degree in the fields of telecommunications, technology, information or data technology or a related field. Two awards, up to $5,000 each renewable annually for up to four years. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Julian and Adrienne Simpkins Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursuing post-secondary education. Up to five awards of $500 each. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- STEM Scholars Scholarship (RACF): For seniors residing in the city of Rochester planning to pursue a degree in science, technology, engineering or math at a two or four year college or university. $3,000, renewable up to four years. May be split between two or more recipients. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Barbara D. Sutherland Scholarship (RACF): For students from the Middle East attending any college or university within the eight-county region of greater Rochester. One award of $3000; may be split between two or three recipients. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Tops Friendly Markets Music Scholarship (RACF): For seniors attending the Eastman School of Music. $2,000. May be split between two recipients. Deadline: Contact the Eastman School of Music beginning in January.
- Dobe E. Ulmer Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For seniors who are hardworking, focused, thoughtful, caring, selfless and dedicated to continuing learning. $1,000. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Xerox Sales Agency – Fred Murray Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For dependent children of either Xerox Sales Agency Owners or full-time agency employees pursuing post-secondary education at a 2- or 4-year college or university. Award up to $1500; may be split between two or three recipients. Deadline 4/15/2020.
Rochester West Indian Festival Organization Scholarship: Multiple scholarships ($500 - $700) awarded to deserving minority graduating high school seniors of the Great Rochester area. One scholarship is for a student going into the Arts. One scholarship offered will be based on community service. Applicant must be going to attend an accredited institution of higher learning. Must have min. 3.0 GPA. Applicants need not be of West Indian Heritage. See Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for an application or go to http://www.rwifo.com/?q=scholarships. Deadline is 2/15/20.
Skincare Ox – The Beauty + Wellness Scholarship for Women: Each quarter $1000 + a care package filled with healthy, organic goodies to young women who are striving to maintain their health and wellness as they pursue their higher education goals. Must be a HS senior, a female and a U.S. Citizen/Permanent Resident. All majors and GPAs may apply. Deadlines are January 1, March 31, June 30 and September 30 every year. All applicants must submit a 500 word maximum essay on the essay prompt found online. Student essays will be judged on their originality, creativity, and dedication to healthy lifestyle choices. https://www.skincareox.com/scholarship/.
Sokol 2020 High School Literary Awards Contest: Monroe County students in grades 9-12 are invited to enter their poetry, short fiction prose (no essays), and/or recorded performances to this prestigious annual contest. First Prize $300, Second Prize $200, Third Prize $100. Find complete instructions at http://www.Sokol.ffrpl.orgor call 585-428-8350. Deadline is 1/31/2020.
UNCF (United Negro College Fund): The UNCF is the nation’s largest and most effective provider of minority scholarship assistance. Visit the UNCF website at https://uncf.org/ and select “Scholarships” to begin the process to determine for what scholarship(s) you might be eligible. For questions, call 202-810-0300 or text “FUNDS” to 50555.
UnionPlus Scholarships: These scholarships are open to children of participating unions, including AFL-CIO. NYSUT, UAW and more. $500 -$4,000. Apply online at: UnionPlus.org/Scholarships. Deadline is 1/31/20.
Victoria Brooks Memorial Scholarship 2020. Awarded to a teen (11-18 years old) who demonstrates passion and shows promise as an emerging writer. Win a one-year membership to Rochester’s Writers & Books and a $250 certificate to apply toward teen writing workshops at Writers & Books. For more information, go to https://www.teenbookfest.org/get-involved/victoria-brooks-scholarship/. Deadline is 1/31/2020.
Vincent Lombardi Lodge #2270 Sons of Italy Scholarship: Must be of Italian descent. Preference is given to students associated with members of the lodge, but anyone that meets the requirements is eligible to apply. See Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for more information. Deadline is 3/31/20.
VLP Smile Scholarship: Dedicated to the memory of Valerie Lynn Palermo, a Greece NY native. You do not need to be a Greece resident. SMILE stands for Students Making an Impact in Life through Education. Essay requirement. Multiple scholarships from $1,000 - $5,000. See Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for an application, or visit: http://www.valeriepalermo.com/Scholarship.php. Deadline is 4/30/2020.
WACE National Co-op Scholarship program: For seniors with a GPA of 3.5 (90) or better and be accepted at one of the 10 WACE partner co-op colleges and universities. A one-page essay is required describing why you have chosen to pursue a college cooperative education program. There are 175 scholarships totaling $4.5 million. Deadline is 2/15/20. Apply online at https://www.waceinc.org/scholarship/index.html.
YMCA of Greater Rochester Multicultural Scholarship Program: For graduating seniors of color to pursue a cause driven career or volunteer relationship within the Y movement. Minimum GPA of 3.0. Multiple awards ranging from $1,000 - $3,000. Please see Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office for an application. Deadline is 4/30/20.
Young Women of Distinction Scholarship Award Program: Sponsored by the Women’s council. There are four $2,500 scholarships available for the winners. Sixteen finalists will get smaller amounts. Academic excellence, leadership and community service will be considered. Essay requirement. For more information, please see Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling Office or go to https://rocwomenscouncil.org/young-women-of-distinction/. Deadline is 3/1/2020.
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated, formed on the campus of Howard University, consists of 100,000 predominately African-American Women. The local chapter, Psi Omega Zeta Chapter, sponsors two scholarships listed below. Both are due 2/1/20. For more information and applications, see Mrs. Tyler in the Counseling office.
- Patrice B. Cummings Scholarship: Scholarship available to college-bound female high school seniors who have excelled academically, have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and demonstrate being a responsible, positive, self-disciplined and respectful individual who has drive, perseverance and determination towards academic attainment.
- Psi Omega Zeta Scholarship: For college bound, female high school seniors who have excelled academically, have a GPA of 2.5 or higher, are involved in community service and/or organized campus activities and who is interested in service to the community.