General Scholarship Information
Parents: Check for scholarships at your place of employment, unions, banks/credit unions, professional/club/membership affiliations, places of worship, Greek life affiliations, etc.
College Specific Scholarships:
Merit Based Scholarships: Most colleges automatically consider applicants for merit based scholarships when students apply. Many students receive merit based scholarships - from the top of the class to average students. No special scholarship application is required, but to be considered for a merit based scholarship, the college application deadline is often November 1st or December 1st.
Other College Specific Scholarships: Most colleges offer additional scholarships such as presidential scholarships, dean scholarships, major related scholarships, audition based scholarships, diversity scholarships, first in college scholarships, etc. These scholarships usually require an application and possibly letters of recommendation and/or an essay. Be sure to check each college that interests you to see what scholarship opportunities are available and what the deadlines are. We encourage you to apply to as many as you can.
Scholarship List: See below for a list of scholarships that come through the Counseling office and are managed by the College/Career Coordinator, Vera Foster. Applications are available online or as printable PDFs. Please see Ms. Foster if you prefer a paper copy.
Action for a Better Community, Inc. “Express Yourself” Youth Essay Contest: Open to high school seniors in Monroe County. Essay question: “Reflecting on the COVID-19 Pandemic, how has the past year affected both you and your peers’ inner thoughts and feelings about the world around you? What applicable life lessons do you feel you have learned?” 1st place winner receives a $2,000 college scholarship and Chromebook. 2nd place $1,000, 3rd place $500. EXPRESS YOURSELF ESSAY CONTEST 2021 Contest begins Friday, April 9th and ends Friday, May 7th at 5PM, 2021. Deadline has been extended to Friday, May 14th at 5PM, 2021.
American Indian Graduate Center Scholarships: Offers merit- and need-based scholarships to qualified American Indian and Alaska Native students. https://www.aigcs.org
EduMed Scholarships & Resources for African American Students: Links to 20 scholarships and other valuable resources helping students achieve rewarding college educations and successful careers. https://www.edumed.org/financial-aid/african-american-student-scholarships-resources/
Eisenhower College Alumni Association Scholarship Contest: For college-bound high school seniors who plan to continue their studies in a liberal arts program. Awards up to $5,000. Essay with a minimum of 750 words required. For more information, essay prompts and an application, go to: https://eisenhowercollege.org/scholarships/ Deadline is 6/1/2021.
Get-it-Straight Orthodontics Scholarship Award: $500 scholarship available to a senior who is a current or previous patient of the orthodontic office who underwent orthodontic treatment in the Pittsford, Greece or Gananda locations. Student must have done community service in any area that was of benefit to others or made a contribution to society. Essay required. Applications should be returned by May 21 to either Pittsford High Schools Counseling Office College/Career Coordinator (Mrs. Anderson at MHS/Ms. Foster at SHS). Get It Straight Info & Application Deadline is 5/21/2021.
National Association of Women in Construction Greater Rochester Chapter: Scholarships of $1500 available for female college-bound high school seniors pursuing education in construction; construction management, architecture, civil, mechanical and structural or electrical engineering, construction-related trade, etc. Go to https://www.nawicrochester.org/index.php/scholarship/. for more information and a downloadable application. Deadline: 5/14/2021.
New York State Excelsior Scholarship: Tuition-free degree program. In order to apply, students must:
- Attend a SUNY or CUNY two- or four-year degree program
- Plan to live and work in New York following graduation for the length of time they participate in the scholarship program
- Adjusted gross family income of $110,000 or less
For more information, please visit: https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-free-degree-program-excelsior-scholarship
New York State Education Department Scholarships for Academic Excellence (SAE): The Scholarships for Academic Excellence (SAE) provide a scholarship to attend an institution of higher education located in New York State to the top high school students, based on specific grading criteria through the end of a student’s junior year. Students cannot apply directly for the scholarships but will be contacted by their school administration to obtain required information for the nomination form. For more information, please see: http://www.nysed.gov/postsecondary-services/scholarships-academic-excellence-sae.
New York State STEM Incentive Program: Provides a full SUNY tuition scholarship to the top 10% of students in each NYS high school if they pursue a STEM degree and agree to live in NYS and work in a STEM field for five years after graduation. Rules and information can be found at: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid/nys-grants-scholarships-awards/nys-science-technology-engineering-and-math-incentive-scholarships-service-terms-and-conditions.html
New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): This program helps NY residents pay for tuition with a grant. There are specific income requirements. For more information, please visit: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/apply-for-financial-aid/nys-tap.html
OppU Achievers Scholarship: $2500 Scholarship awarded four times a year to Seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.0. To apply, students submit a short essay online. Scholarship decisions are based solely on an applicant’s essay response. Winners for the OppU Achievers Scholarship are selected four times a year, with submission deadlines on September 30, December 31, March 31, and June 30. High school applicants should apply during their final semester of high school. For more information and an application, go to https://www.opploans.com/scholarship/
PB&J Scholarship: Scholarships of $500-1,000 available to students who have experienced personal challenges that may not have allowed them to perform well academically, but who still have the drive to succeed. Application, transcript and letter(s) of recommendation required. For more information and https://pbjscholarship.org/ Deadline 5/31/2021.
Pittsford Musicals Merit Scholarship: Scholarship up to $250 available for high school seniors who are involved in the performing or musical arts (theatre performance, dance, vocal or instrumental music or theatre technical arts) AND intend to pursue studies in these areas at the college level after graduation. Pittsford Musicals Merit Scholarship Application 2021 Deadline is 5/20/2021.
The Rochester Area Community Foundation: RACF manages and awards over 1,000 scholarships. Some of the criteria used are: county/town of residence, ethnicity, academic interest area, company/employer, club/organization involvement. Requirements and awards vary by the scholarship. For more information, please visit: https://www.racf.org/Scholarships/
- Clifford B. Bushnell Scholarship (RACF): For female Urban League Black Scholars who are graduating high school seniors pursuing post-secondary education. Beginning 2020 offered in even years only. Deadline: first Friday in May.
- Frank Commisso Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursing post-secondary education. $6,000 split between two or more recipients. Deadline: first Friday in May.
- Country Club of Rochester Sam Urzetta Scholarship (RACF): For caddies at or employees of the Country Club of Rochester planning to attend a 2- or 4-year college or vocational/technical school. Number and size of awards vary; minimum $500. Deadline: 7/1/2021.
- Susan A. Cowell Scholarship (RACF): For students who identify as LGBTQ and are pursuing post-secondary education in fields aligned with public health, nonprofit administration, or social justice activism, including social activism through the arts at an academic institution in the eight-county area surrounding Rochester. One award of $1000-1500. Deadline: 6/15/2021.
- Hickey-Freeman Tailored Clothing, Inc. James J. Monley Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For dependent children of Hickey-Freeman Tailored Clothing, Inc. employees pursuing post-secondary education at an accredited 2- or 4-yerar college or university. Three awards: $5000, $2500, $1000. Deadline: 7/20/2021.
- Jennifer Grimes Lindley Scholarship (RACF): For female seniors planning to pursue a degree in engineering. Two $1,000 awards. Recipients will also receive membership to the American Association of University Women (AAUW). Deadline: first Friday in May.
- New York State Restaurant association (Rochester Chapter) Scholarship (RACF): For students attending programs in the food service industry. Number of awards and amounts vary; maximum award $2000. Deadline: 5/15/2021.
- Notre Dame Club of Rochester – Social Concerns Scholarship (RACF): For students participating in the Notre Dame Social Concerns program. $1,500. Deadline: Contact the Notre Dame Center for Social Concerns beginning in January.
- Joseph Parungao Memorial Scholarship (RACF): Need-based scholarship for high school students enrolled in vocal studies at The Hochstein School. Up to four awards of $450 each. Consideration may be given to skill level and earnestness, and preference is given to a tenor or baritone, or students with an interest in musical theater. Deadline: Contact The Hochstein School beginning in January.
- Rochester Cavalry Troops Scholarship (RACF): For soldiers, their spouses, and their dependent children who are connected to units, detachments and elements of the New York Army National Guard located in Monroe County. Number of awards and amounts may vary; historically up to $10,000. Not to exceed tuition costs. Deadline: 6/1/2021
- Rochester Regional Joint Board, Workers United – Abraham D. Chatman Scholarship (RACF): For dependent children (as described per union rules) of members of local unions affiliated with Rochester Regional Joint Board, Workers United. Minimum 2.5 GPA. Up to five awards of $2,000 each; renewable for up to four awards. Deadline: 5/31/2021.
- Tops Friendly Markets Music Scholarship (RACF): For seniors attending the Eastman School of Music. $2,000. May be split between two recipients. Deadline: Contact the Eastman School of Music beginning in January.
Skincare Ox – The Beauty + Wellness Scholarship for Women: Each quarter $1000 + a care package filled with healthy, organic goodies to young women who are striving to maintain their health and wellness as they pursue their higher education goals. Must be a HS senior, a female and a U.S. Citizen/Permanent Resident. All majors and GPAs may apply. Deadlines are January 1, March 31, June 30 and September 30 every year. All applicants must submit a 500 word maximum essay on the essay prompt found online at https://www.skincareox.com/scholarship/. Student essays will be judged on their originality, creativity, and dedication to healthy lifestyle choices.
UNCF (United Negro College Fund): The UNCF is the nation’s largest and most effective provider of minority scholarship assistance. Visit the UNCF website at https://uncf.org/ and select “Scholarships” to begin the process to determine for what scholarship(s) you might be eligible. For questions, call 202-810-0300 or text “FUNDS” to 50555.
Urban League of Rochester: http://www.ulr.org/Programs/YouthEducationDevelopment/BlackScholars/LinkstoOtherScholarships.aspx Select 'Youth Education and Development" and scroll to Black Schools Program section for option to download list of 2021 Scholaships and Applications.
VLP Smile Scholarship: Dedicated to the memory of Valerie Lynn Palermo, a Greece, NY native. Not required to be a Greece resident. SMILE stands for Students Making an Impact in Life through Education. Essay requirement. Multiple scholarships from $1,000 - $5,000. For more information, go to http://www.valeriepalermo.com/Scholarship.php. VLP Smile Scholarship Application 2021 Deadline is 6/30/2021.