The Business Department consent to the following shared practices:
- The business department grades students on clearly defined learning standards unique to each class. These standards are what students will know and be able to do after completing the class.
- The business department believes that academic grades should reflect an individual student’s achievement against these learning standard(s).
- Teamwork, Collaboration, Critical Thinking and Problem Solving, Innovation and Communication are essential skills for success now and in the future world of work.
- When calculating a student’s grade, we will adhere to the following practices:
- Grades will be made up of summative assessments only.
- Formative assessments are essential for student learning as well as reporting information to stakeholders. However, formative assessments will not be counted toward a student’s final grade though they will be reported in Infinite Campus.
- A student should never reach a place where there is no point doing any more work because failure is inevitable. Therefore, zeroes, in a 100 point scale, will only be assigned if the student fails to meet district assigned deadline for grade reporting. This happens 4 times during a school year and those dates can be found in the student/parent handbook.
- In the business department, students enrolled in the same class, regardless of teacher or building, will be assessed and held accountable in a consistent manner.
- Students will receive multiple opportunities/attempts to be successful and demonstrate their learning of the standards.
- Specific Retake policies will be shared by course.
- We acknowledge the importance of using timely, descriptive, and relevant feedback to aid in student growth and teacher reflection and pledge to provide this information as soon as possible.