Sight words are high frequency words that are found in 50-75% of books, newspapers and magazines. These words are irregular and therefore, cannot be sounded out. Students must be able to identify these words automatically by sight. Students with a large sight word vocabulary read more fluently. Below are the first grade sight words, second grade sight words and Dolch Words. I also have include some fun ways to practice sight words at home!
- magnetic letters
- Unifix cubes
- write letters in sensory bins (rice, popcorn kernels, sand, beans etc...)
- make with clay and Wiki Stixs
- draw a picture to help them visualize the word and it's meaning
- write the word several times while saying the word
- write a sentence using the word