Choosing Books - The Goldilocks Method
When you are reading a book you can try asking yourself these
questions to help you find a book that is "just right" for you.
Too Easy Books
As you read, ask yourself these questions. If you answer "yes" to most of
the questions then the book is probably too easy for you. You can still
have fun reading it, but next time try to choose a book that is a little more
1. Have you read this book many times before?
2. Do you understand the story very well without much effort?
3. Do you know and understand almost every word?
4. Can you read it smoothly and fluently without much practice or effort?
Just Right Books
As you read ask yourself these questions. If you answer yes to most of
them then the book you are reading is probably "just right" for you.
These are the books that will help you make the most progress in your
reading. Read, enjoy and learn from the experience!
1. Is this book new to you?
2. Do you understand most of the book?
3. Are there a few words per page that you don't recognize or know the
meaning to instantly? Remember to use the Five Finger Rule.
4. Can someone help you with the book if you hit a tough spot?
Too Hard Books
As you read ask yourself these questions, if you find that you answer yes
to most of these questions, then the book is probably too hard for you.
Don't forget about the book, try it again later. As you gain experience in
choosing "just right" books, you may find when you pick the book up
again that it is "just right/"
1. Are there more than a few words on a page that you don't recognize
or know the meaning? Remember the Five Finger Rule.
2. Are you confused about what is happening in most of the book?
3. When you read are you struggling and does it sound choppy?
4. Is everyone busy and unable to help you if you hit a tough spot?
The Five Finger Rule
- Open to a page of the book.
- Begin reading.
- Each time you come to a word you don’t know, hold up 1 finger.
- After you finish reading the page, check to see how many fingers you are holding up.
Too Easy: 0 - 1 fingers
Just Right: 2 - 3 fingers
Too Hard: 4 - 5 fingers