World Book – different versions to support different grade levels – IT IS NOT THE “Same old” ENCYCLOPEDIA IT USED TO BE
Early World of Learning is the premier online resource for preschoolers and children in the early elementary grades. Developed with experts on early childhood education, Early World of Learning offers rich resources designed for easy integration into the classroom curriculum. The site encompasses five interactive learning components:
Read consists of three interactive learning environments: Trek's Travels, Welcome to Reading, and Know It. Trek's Travels contains narrated stories that teach early childhood themes, including numbers, shapes, colors, opposites, and more. Welcome to Reading is a leveled reading program aimed at guiding emerging readers through increasing Lexile Framework® for Reading difficulties. Know It offers a richly visual interactive encyclopedia that will captivate early learners with non-fiction topics of interest and importance to them.
Play offers a variety of different game types designed to reinforce reading comprehension in an easily navigable design. Some examples of game types include Put the Story in Order, Multiple Choice, Concentration, and Sorting.
Watch collects and organizes a wide variety of videos found throughout World Book Online. These videos reinforce the content found within the Read section, and help to build essential background knowledge.
Print & Do offers printable materials for coloring, connecting-the-dots, and more. These worksheets build upon the ideas and themes learned by students in Trek's Travels.
Classics is comprised of three different sections: Story Corner, Nursery Rhymes, and Songs. These sections contain fun fictional content culled from popular fairy tales, fables, fantasies, and more.
Educator Tools for Trek's Travels and Welcome to Reading feature a variety of educator support material and downloads, including educator content summaries, curriculum correlations, Lexile® Measures, and links to downloadable "Mini-lessons."
World Book Kids is the premier online resource developed especially for young students. The site has been optimized for tablets and features image-based navigation, easy-to-read articles, thousands of images and videos as well as a wealth of engaging games, science projects, and activities.
World Book Kids features:
• A variety of simple search and browse navigation options
• Thousands of easy-to-read articles with embedded multimedia
• Engaging images, illustrations, videos, maps, and animations
• More than 50 challenging games across five subject areas
• A tool for exploring and comparing animals and places
• An Important People feature to help students search and browse through thousands of biographies
• A collection of age-appropriate science projects and activities
• An atlas, interactive maps, and outline maps and flags
• Teacher resources
Tailored for students in elementary and middle schools, World Book Student includes all the articles from the print versions of the World Book Encyclopedia, plus thousands of additional articles, learning resources, and research tools.
Key features include:
• More than 40,000 encyclopedia and reference articles
• World Book Biography Center, with more than 10,000 biographies
• Thousands of links selected by World Book editors and expert contributors
• Rich multimedia
• Historical features
• Extensive dictionary and atlas
• Correlations to state and provincial curriculum and achievement standards
• Audios, videos, and animations
• Educator tools
• Student activities
Example Logins: username: mendon password: mendon