Ski club is an after school /evening program offered to fifth graders at Thornell Road School. Through this club, students are able to purchase a package that includes lift tickets and equipment rentals (if needed) for four nights of skiing or snowboarding at a local ski area. Skiers and riders of all abilities are encouraged to participate and lessons are required at each session regardless of ability. Transportation is included in the cost and is provided on a commercial bus. Adult chaperones supervise students on the bus, in the lodge at the ski area, and during parent pick up. Students are expected to understand and follow safety rules as they are unsupervised while skiing with partners. This free skiing time occurs after the one-hour lesson with the resort's ski instructors. This unsupervised time is a great opportunity for students to develop skills of independence and self-reliability. Students are instructed on what to do in an emergency and on how to contact chaperones or the safety patrol.
SKI CLUB RULES:
1. Students are expected to ski or board under control and follow all rules set by the ski area and club.
2. Students absent from school are not permitted to attend Ski Club on that day.
3. All skiers and boarders must take lessons each session.
4. All participants are expected to go and return on the bus.
5. Everyone must ski or board with one or more partners of similar ability.
6. Participants must become acquainted with the area and should not ski nor board on slopes beyond their ability.
7. Everyone must use properly adjusted safety bindings with safety straps or brakes. This is a NYS Law.
8. Any injuries, however minor, should be reported to the ski club advisor or one of the chaperones as soon as possible. In the event of a serious injury, parents must be available to come to the ski area.
9. Discipline problems, either on the bus or at the resort, will be reported to the principal at Thornell and to the parents.
Bus departs Thornell Road School at about 3:45 p.m.
Bus arrives at the ski area at about 4:30 p.m.
Lesson times usually begin on the hour ( 4:00, 5:00, 6:00)
Dinner in the base lodge with friends and partners after lessons
Free skiing with partners from 6:00- 7:45 p.m.
Load bus at 8:00 p.m.
Depart ski area at 8:10 p.m.
Bus arrives back at Thornell School between 8:45 - 9:00 p.m.
Parents should be in side parking lot at Thornell to pick up students at 8:45 p.m.
Advisor: Ms. Shepard