Parents: Check for scholarships at your place of employment, unions, banks/credit unions, professional/club/membership affiliations, places of worship, Greek life affiliations, etc.
Merit-Based College Scholarships: Most colleges automatically consider applicants for merit-based scholarships when students apply. Many students receive merit-based scholarships. No special scholarship application is required, but to be considered for a merit-based scholarship, it is very important to check with the individual college for specific dates, deadlines, and requirements. Some early college application deadlines are in November or December.
College Specific Scholarships: Most colleges offer additional scholarships such as presidential scholarships, dean's scholarships, major-related scholarships, audition-based scholarships, diversity scholarships, first in college scholarships, etc. These scholarships usually require an application and possibly letters of recommendation and/or an essay. Be sure to check each college that interests you to see what scholarship opportunities are available and what the deadlines are. You are encouraged to apply to as many as you can.
Scholarship List: See below for a list of scholarships that come through the Counseling office and are managed by the College/Career Coordinator, Mrs. Karina Anderson. Applications are usually available online and sometimes as printable PDFs. For printable applications, please see Mrs. Anderson if you need help with a paper copy.
American Foreign Service Association National Essay Contest is open to students grades 9-12. Every year, AFSA welcomes essay submission that address diplomacy, peacebuilding and the foreign service. For more information and essay topic, please visit https://afsa.org/essay-contest. Deadline is 4/3/2023.
American Indian Graduate Center Scholarships: Offers merit- and need-based scholarships to qualified American Indian and Alaska Native students. https://www.aigcs.org
American Legion Auxiliary, Department of New York, Monroe County Scholarship: One-time $500 scholarship for further study in any field of the student’s choice. Candidates evaluated on the basis of character, Americanism, leadership, academic standing and basis of need. Scholarship Application Deadline is 4/15/2023.
College Board Opportunity Scholarships. Complete six college planning steps for six separate chances at $500. When all six steps are finished, students are entered into a drawing for a $40,000 scholarship. Money can still be earned even if all steps are not completed. For more information, go to: https://opportunity.collegeboard.org/
Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) has a number of scholarships. See the College/Career Coordinator in the Counseling Office for more information on the DAR scholarships:
- Polly F. Burke Memorial Scholarship (Irondequoit Chapter): For high school seniors who meet the following criteria: an American citizen, planning to attend any institute of higher learning, an outstanding academic record, and demonstrated commitment to community service. Applicants must provide 3 letters of recommendation, transcript, list of activities/honors and personal statement. One-year scholarship of $1,000. Deadline 3/1/2023.
Delta Delta Delta (Tri Delta) Sorority, Rochester Alumnae Chapter: Award up to $4000 in scholarship funds. To be eligible to apply, applicants must be female identifying, currently attend a Monroe County high school and will attend college in Fall 2023. Must demonstrate scholastic ability, leadership in school and a commitment to community service. Applications and supplemental materials must be submitted electronically via Google docs (will need to log in) at https://forms.gle/QhmuLamGNikHURJc9 Deadline is 3/30/2023.
EduMed Scholarships & Resources for African American Students: Links to 20 scholarships and other valuable resources helping students achieve rewarding college educations and successful careers. https://www.edumed.org/financial-aid/african-american-student-scholarships-resources/
Family First Federal Credit Union 15th Annual Len Szumiloski Scholarship: For college-bound high school seniors who are members of Family First FCU. Selection based on academic performance, community involvement, extracurricular activities and essay responses. Three students will be awarded $1,000 each toward college expenses. For more information and an online application, go to: https://home.familyfirstny.com/2022/10/18/2023-scholarship-opportunities/ Deadline is 3/10/2023.
Get-it-Straight Orthodontics Scholarship Award: $500 scholarship available to a senior who is a current or previous patient of the orthodontic office who underwent orthodontic treatment in the Pittsford, Greece or Gananda locations. Student must have done community service in any area that was of benefit to others or made a contribution to society. Essay required describing that experience. Applications should be returned by May 26th to either Pittsford High Schools Counseling Office College/Career Coordinator (Mrs. Anderson at MHS/Ms. Foster at SHS). Get It Straight Application 2023 Deadline is 5/26/2023.
Harvard-Radcliffe Club of Rochester 2023 Annual Essay Contest: For students in grades 9-12. Submit a 1000-word essay on the topic: "Yes, We Can.” First prize $250, Second prize $100, Third prize $50. Children of members of the Harvard-Radcliffe Club of Rochester are not eligible to enter. For more information, go to https://hrcrochester.clubs.harvard.edu/article.html?aid=182. Deadline is 3/15/2023.
Hearing Loss Association of America, Inc. Rochester Chapter: One-time scholarship award of $1000 to be given to a Greater Rochester area high school senior with hearing loss who is pursuing postsecondary education or vocational training. For more information and a printable application, go to https://hearinglossrochester.org/forms-publications. or Fillable Application. Deadline is 4/14/2023.
Molly Efron Technical Women’s Scholarship presented by The Women’s Alliance of Xerox: Two $1,000 scholarships given to support a female high school senior attending a STEM program at an accredited four-year college or university in the fall. Winners are selected based on GPA, letter of recommendation and essay. Preference is given to an individual with financial need. Use the following link for the online application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScrZvJrDSdW942o56G-HEuO0q5-Emj4YJshBTOz-2PKDAwzIg/viewform Please work with your school’s Counseling office to complete the application package (letter of recommendation and official high school transcript). Please note that the deadline occurs during February break when schools are closed and Counseling staff are not guaranteed to be available. Deadline is 2/24/2023.
NYSIR (New York Schools Insurance Reciprocal) Applications are available at https://www.nysir.org/page/2023-scholarship-application. E-mail is the required method for submissions. Deadline for all applications is 3/17/2023.
- NYSIR Cristin Bambino Scholarship: is available to a special education student who is college bound. The goal of this scholarship is to reward a student who has worked through his or her special challenges to complete high school and gain acceptance into a college or university. Applicants for this scholarship must complete an essay, not to exceed 650 words. The scholarship is in memory of Cristin Ann Bambino. Nine recipients will receive between $3,000 - $5,000.
- NYSIR Joseph Goncalves Student Humanitarian Scholarship: is available to a student who demonstrates an involvement and work for a cause or organization that promotes social justice, equal opportunity, relief of human suffering or other aspiration generally understood to be within the meaning of humanitarian activity throughout their high school career. Diversity is encouraged. This scholarship is in honor of NYSIR's former Executive Director, Joseph Goncalves. Applicants for this scholarship must complete an essay, not to exceed 650 words, that explains his or her experience serving others during their high school careers, how that service has benefited others and what that experience has personally meant to the applicant. The essay may also include mention of inspirational role models. One recipient will receive $5,000, the other $3,000.
- NYSIR Paul Jensen Scholarship: is available to a student who has excelled in design in his or her high school career. The goal of this scholarship is to reward a student who has shown interest and promise in design and who wishes to pursue this path in college. The scholarship is in memory of Paul Jensen, a marketing representative for NYSIR. Applicants for this scholarship must complete an essay, not to exceed 650 words, that explains a way they would design or adapt an existing design for a specific purpose, how this design or adaptation could be accomplished and why this design or adaptation would be unique. One recipient will receive $5,000, the other $3,000.
New York State Excelsior Scholarship: Tuition-free degree program. In order to apply, students must:
- Attend a SUNY or CUNY two- or four-year degree program
- Plan to live and work in New York following graduation for the length of time they participate in the scholarship program
- Adjusted gross family income of $110,000 or less
For more information, please visit: https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-free-degree-program-excelsior-scholarship
New York State Education Department Scholarships for Academic Excellence (SAE): The Scholarships for Academic Excellence (SAE) provide a scholarship to attend an institution of higher education located in New York State to the top high school students, based on specific grading criteria through the end of a student’s junior year. Students cannot apply directly for the scholarships but will be contacted by their school administration to obtain required information for the nomination form. For more information, please see: http://www.nysed.gov/postsecondary-services/scholarships-academic-excellence-sae.
New York State STEM Incentive Program: Provides a full SUNY tuition scholarship to the top 10% of students in each NYS high school if they pursue a STEM degree and agree to live in NYS and work in a STEM field for five years after graduation. Rules and information can be found at: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid/nys-grants-scholarships-awards/nys-science-technology-engineering-and-math-incentive-scholarships-service-terms-and-conditions.html
New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): This program helps NY residents pay for tuition with a grant. There are specific income requirements. For more information, please visit: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/apply-for-financial-aid/nys-tap.html
OppU Achievers Scholarship: $2500 Scholarship awarded four times a year to Seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.0. To apply, students submit a short essay online. Scholarship decisions are based solely on an applicant’s essay response. Winners for the OppU Achievers Scholarship are selected four times a year, with submission deadlines on September 30, December 31, March 31, and June 30. High school applicants should apply during their final semester of high school. For more information and an application, go to https://www.opploans.com/scholarship/
Order Sons and Daughters of Italy in America Vincent Lombardi Lodge #2270 Scholarship (Local Level): For college bound high school seniors. Must be of Italian descent (at least one grandparent must of Italian heritage.) Scholarship Application Deadline is 3/31/2023.
Polish Heritage Society of Rochester Scholarship: For seniors of Polish descent. Up to ten $4,000 scholarships will be awarded. Application and information on how to apply is available online at http://www.polishheritagerochester.org/. Deadline is 2/1/2023.
The Rochester Area Community Foundation: RACF manages and awards over 1,000 scholarships. Some of the criteria used are: county/town of residence, ethnicity, academic interest area, company/employer, club/organization involvement. Requirements and awards vary by the scholarship. For more information, please visit: https://www.racf.org/Scholarships/
- Armenian Scholarship Fund in memory of Charles J. Churukian (RACF): Scholarship for graduating senior of Armenian heritage pursuing a career in medicine, science, or music and has financial need. One award of $1,000; renewable annually for a maximum total award of $4,000. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Joel Ayite Ajavon Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For seniors interested in studying science, technology, engineering, math or nursing at a two-year community college in Western New York. $1,000 - $1,500. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Barnard-Kuichling-Acorn Society Scholarship (RACF): Scholarships for high school graduates living in Monroe County who are in the top 10 percent of their class. Number of awards and amounts vary; awards range from $500 to $1,500. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Clifford B. Bushnell Scholarship (RACF): For female Urban League Black Scholars who are graduating high school seniors pursuing post-secondary education. Beginning 2020, offered in even years only. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Elvira Caroselli Creative Spirit Award (RACF): For high school juniors and seniors in Monroe County who demonstrate a creative spirit. Number of awards and amounts may vary; maximum $1,500. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Dr. Marlene Caroselli Excellence-in-Communication Award (RACF): For graduating seniors who have consistently demonstrated excellence in both the spoken and written word, plan to attend college and focus on a career that requires excellence in communications. Average award: $5,000. Deadline 2/1/2023.
- Patrick Caroselli Scholarship Award (RACF): For graduating seniors in Monroe County whose parents immigrated to the United States and attained citizenship and who plan to enroll in college. Average award $5,000. Deadline: 2/1/2023
- Frank Commisso Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursuing post-secondary education. $6,000 split between two or more recipients. Deadline: first Friday in May.
- Country Club of Rochester Sam Urzetta Scholarship (RACF): For caddies at or employees of the Country Club of Rochester planning to attend a 2- or 4-year college or vocational/technical school. Number and size of awards vary; minimum $500. Deadline: 5/1/2023.
- Susan A. Cowell Scholarship (RACF): For students who identify as LGBTQ and are pursuing post-secondary education in fields aligned with public health, nonprofit administration, or social justice activism, including social activism through the arts. One award of $1,000. Deadline: 6/15/2023.
- Molly Efron Scholarship (RACF): For female seniors pursuing a degree in science, technology, engineering or math at a four-year college or university. Two awards of $1,000 each. Deadline: second Friday in April.
- GardenScape Professional Association/Ted Burnett Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For horticulture/landscaping students residing in the Genesee-Finger Lakes region and pursuing post-secondary education. One award of $1,000. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Lorraine Halsch Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For students who have overcome adversity and are pursuing post-secondary education. $1,500 renewable for four years. May be split between two or three recipients. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- William Jackson Hawley Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors in Monroe County who have a parent undergoing cancer treatment or recently died from cancer. One award of $3,000; may be split between two or three recipients. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Hickey-Freeman Tailored Clothing, Inc. James J. Monley Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For dependent children of Hickey-Freeman Tailored Clothing, Inc. employees pursuing post-secondary education at an accredited 2- or 4-yerar college or university. Three awards: $5,000, $2,500, $1,000. Deadline: 4/1/2023.
- Louis P. and Betty A. Iacona Nursing Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors pursuing a career in nursing. One award of $3,000; renewable annually for a total of four consecutive awards. May be split between two recipients. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Rodney B. Janes Business, Vocational or Technical Award (RACF): For younger adult students (between the ages of 16 and 30) residing in and attending or entering post-secondary business, vocational or technical school or programs in Monroe County, NY. One award of $2,000; award may not exceed cost of tuition/program/course. Deadline is 2/1/2023.
- Jennifer Grimes Lindley Scholarship (RACF): For female seniors planning to pursue a degree in engineering. Two $1,000 awards. Recipients will also receive membership to the American Association of University Women (AAUW). Deadline: first Friday in May.
- Locust Hill Youth Caddie Scholarship (RACF): For students participating in the Youth Caddie Program at Locust Hill Country Club and planning to attend college or prepare for college. One award of $1,500; may be split between two or three recipients. Deadline: 11/15/2023.
- Gay R. Maney Reach for the Green Scholarship (RACF): For seniors residing in the city of Rochester who have participated in any type of golf related program and plan to pursue a college education. Two awards up to $2,500 each; renewable for up to four years. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Erin Marie Masling Scholarship (RACF): For graduating high school seniors who have the potential and desire to pursue life and a post-secondary education despite the effect of cystic fibrosis or another chronic medical condition or illness. Number of awards and amount many vary, minimum $500. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- William E. McKnight Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For Urban League Black Scholar seniors pursuing post-secondary education at a four-year college. Up to $2,500; renewable for up to four years. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Monroe Tractor Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors and current college undergraduate students interested in studying agriculture or agriculture management. Various awards. Deadline: 2/15/2023.
- Nautilus Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursuing a degree in architecture, construction, construction management, a related field or a program leading to teacher certification in a STEM field. One award of $4,000; paid $1,000 per year for four years. Additionally, one non-renewable award of $1,000 for students pursuing a trades degree or program. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- New York State Restaurant Association (Rochester Chapter) Scholarship (RACF): For students attending programs in the food service industry. Number of awards and amounts vary; maximum award $2,000. Deadline: 3/10/2023.
- Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship (RACF): For graduating high school ice hockey athletes in Monroe County planning to pursue post-secondary education. One award of $3,000; may be split between two or more recipients. Deadline: Contact high school coach beginning in October.
- Joseph Parungao Memorial Scholarship (RACF): Need-based scholarship for high school students enrolled in vocal studies at The Hochstein School. Up to four awards of $450 each. Deadline: Contact The Hochstein School to learn more.
- Rochester Cavalry Troops Scholarship (RACF): For soldiers, their spouses, and their dependent children who are connected to units, detachments and elements of the New York Army National Guard located in Monroe County. Number of awards and amounts may vary; historically up to $10,000. Not to exceed tuition costs. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Rochester Regional Joint Board, Workers United – Abraham D. Chatman Scholarship (RACF): For dependent children (as described per union rules) of members of local unions affiliated with Rochester Regional Joint Board, Workers United. Five awards of $2,000 each; renewable annually for up to four years. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Rochester Telecommunications Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursuing a degree in the fields of telecommunications, technology, information or data technology or a related field. One award of $8,000 renewable annually for up to four years. May be split between two or more recipients. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Dale Lawrence and Rosalie Viener Rockwell Educational Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors with profound hearing loss pursuing higher loss. One award of $5,000; renewable annually for a total of four consecutive awards. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Elmer W. Schwittek Free Enterprise Scholarship (RACF): For graduating high school seniors planning to enroll in a business administration or entrepreneur program. One award of $1,000. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- St. Julian and Adrienne Simpkins Book Award (RACF): For seniors pursuing post-secondary education. Up to five awards of $500 each. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- STEM Scholars Scholarship (RACF): For seniors residing in the city of Rochester planning to pursue a degree in science, technology, engineering or math at a two or four year college or university. $1,500; renewable annually up to four years. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Alex C. and Barbara D. Sutherland Scholarship (RACF): For students from the Middle East attending any college or university within the eight-county region of greater Rochester. One award of up to $1,000; may be split between two or three recipients. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Tops Friendly Markets Music Scholarship (RACF): For seniors attending the Eastman School of Music. $2,000. May be split between two recipients. Deadline: Contact the Eastman School of Music to learn more.
- Dobe E. Ulmer Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For seniors who are hardworking, focused, thoughtful, caring, selfless and dedicated to continuing learning. One award of $1,000; a second award of $500 may also be awarded. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
- Xerox Sales Agency – Fred Murray Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For dependant children of either Xerox Sales Agency Owners or full-time agency employees pursuing post-secondary education at a two- or four-year college or university. Award up to $1,500; may be split between two or three recipients. Deadline: 2/1/2023.
Rochester Chapter of the Credit Union Assoc. of NY: For HS seniors who have an account in their name and who are members in good standing of a participating credit union and who plan to attend an accredited college or university. Scholarship recipients will be selected based on their academic performance, community involvement, extracurricular activities and essay responses. Amounts vary, but the organization will award approximately $10,000 in scholarships. See the College/Career Coordinator in the Counseling Office for more information or go to https://www.summitfcu.org/join-the-summit/services-benefits/scholarships/ for links to several credit union scholarship opportunities and fillable application forms. Deadlines is 2/28/2023.
Skincare Ox – The Beauty + Wellness Scholarship for Women: Each quarter $1000 + a care package filled with healthy, organic goodies to young women who are striving to maintain their health and wellness as they pursue their higher education goals. Must be a HS senior, a female and a U.S. Citizen/Permanent Resident. All majors and GPAs may apply. Deadlines are January 1, March 31, June 30 and September 30 every year. All applicants must submit a 500 word maximum essay on the essay prompt found online at https://www.skincareox.com/scholarship/. Student essays will be judged on their originality, creativity, and dedication to healthy lifestyle choices.
Student-View Scholarship Program/Student Insights: For all high school Seniors who plan to attend a four-year college, community/junior college or career school. Complete a 15-20 minute application survey about colleges in your area at http://www.student-view.com Scholarship awarded via a random drawing of all completed applicants. For more information, please go to http://www.studentinsights.com. Deadline is 4/23/2023.
UNCF (United Negro College Fund): The UNCF is the nation’s largest and most effective provider of minority scholarship assistance. Visit the UNCF website at https://uncf.org/ and select “Scholarships” to begin the process to determine for what scholarship(s) you might be eligible. For questions, call 202-810-0300 or text “FUNDS” to 50555.
VLP Smile Scholarship: Dedicated to the memory of Valerie Lynn Palermo, a Greece, NY native. Not required to be a Greece resident. SMILE stands for Students Making an Impact in Life through Education. Essay requirement. Multiple scholarships from $1,000 - $5,000. VLP Smile Scholarship Application 2023 For more information, go to http://www.valeriepalermo.com/ Deadline is 4/30/2023.