Parents: Check for scholarships at your place of employment, unions, banks/credit unions, professional/club/membership affiliations, places of worship, Greek life affiliations, etc.
College Specific Scholarships:
Merit Based Scholarships: Most colleges automatically consider applicants for merit based scholarships when students apply. Many students receive merit based scholarships - from the top of the class to average students. No special scholarship application is required, but to be considered for a merit based scholarship, the college application deadline is often November 1st or December 1st. It is very important to check with the individual colleges for specific dates, deadlines, and requirements.
College Specific Scholarships: Most colleges offer additional scholarships such as presidential scholarships, dean scholarships, major related scholarships, audition based scholarships, diversity scholarships, first in college scholarships, etc. These scholarships usually require an application and possibly letters of recommendation and/or an essay. Be sure to check each college that interests you to see what scholarship opportunities are available and what the deadlines are. You are encouraged to apply to as many as you can.
MHS Specific Scholarships
Akoma Scholarship (The Nona Chambers Scholarship - African American Women’s Gospel Choir): For college-bound female African American high school seniors. Church and school references, short essay and a personal interview are required. Amount varies. www.akoma.org. Deadline is 7/15/2020.
Eisenhower College Alumni Association Scholarship Contest: For college-bound high school seniors who plan to continue their studies in a liberal arts program. Awards up to $2500. Applicants may respond with a 750-word (minimum) essay or a creative presentation in the medium of their choice to address one of the provided topics. For more information and an application, go to: https://eisenhowercollege.org/scholarships/ Deadline is 6/1/2020.
National Association of Women in Construction: Scholarship of $1000 available for female college- bound high school seniors pursuing education in construction; construction management, architecture, civil, mechanical and structural or electrical engineering, construction-related trade, etc. For more information and an application, go to https://www.nawicrochester.org/index.php/scholarship/ Deadline extended to: 6/19/2020.
New York State Excelsior Scholarship: Tuition-free degree program. In order to apply, students must:
- Attend a SUNY or CUNY two- or four-year degree program
- Plan to live and work in New York following graduation for the length of time they participate in the scholarship program
- Adjust gross family income of $110,000 or less
For more information, please visit: https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-free-degree-program-excelsior-scholarship
New York State STEM Incentive Program: Provides a full SUNY tuition scholarship to the top 10% of students in each NYS high school if they pursue a STEM degree and agree to live in NYS and work in a STEM field for five years after graduation. Rules and information can be found at: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid/nys-grants-scholarships-awards/nys-science-technology-engineering-and-math-incentive-scholarships-service-terms-and-conditions.html
New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): This program helps NY residents pay for tuition with a grant. There are specific income requirements. For more information, please visit: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/apply-for-financial-aid/nys-tap.html
NYWEA: New York Water Environment Association Genessee Valley Chapter Scholarships: For seniors who will be enrolled in a college/university in an environmentally related program. Up to two $2,500 scholarships available. Must submit transcripts, two letters of recommendation and required essays. For more information, go to http://www.gvcnywea.net/annual-scholarship-award NYWEA Student Scholarship Application Instructions 2020 NYWEA Application 2020 All materials can also be forwarded via e-mail to Mr. Michael Hershelman at Michael.Hershelman@CityofRochester.Gov Deadline is 6/30/2020
OppU Achievers Scholarship: $2500 Scholarship awarded four times a year to Seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.0. To apply, students submit a short essay online. Scholarship decisions are based solely on an applicant’s essay response. Winners for the OppU Achievers Scholarship are selected four times a year, with submission deadlines on September 30, December 31, March 31, and June 30. For more information and an application, go to https://www.opploans.com/scholarship/
The Rochester Area Community Foundation: RACF manages and awards over 1,000 scholarships. Some of the criteria used are: county/town of residence, ethnicity, academic interest area, company/employer, club/organization involvement. Requirements and awards vary by the scholarship. For more information visit: https://www.racf.org/Scholarships/
- Joel Ayite Ajavon Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For seniors interested in studying science, technology, engineering, math or nursing at a two-year community college in Western New York. $1,000 - $1,500. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Clifford B. Bushnell Scholarship (RACF): For female Urban League Black Scholars who are graduating high school seniors pursuing post-secondary education. Beginning 2020 offered in even years only. Deadline is 5/1/2020.
- Elvira Caroselli Creative Spirit Award (RACF). For high school juniors and seniors in Monroe County who demonstrate a creative spirit. Minimum amount $250. Information about how to apply at https://www.racf.org/Scholarships/Scholarship-Database?s=1017 Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Frank Commisso Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursing post-secondary education. $6,000 split between two or more recipients. Deadline 5/1/2020.
- Country Club of Rochester Sam Urzetta Scholarship (RACF): For caddies at or employees of the Country Club of Rochester planning to attend a 2- or 4-year college or vocational/technical school. Number and size of awards vary; minimum $500. Deadline 5/1/2020.
- Susan A. Cowell Scholarship (RACF): For students who identify as LGBTQ and are pursuing post-secondary education in fields aligned with public health, nonprofit administration, or social justice activism, including social activism through the arts. One award of $1000-1500. Deadline 6/15/2020.
- Molly Efron Scholarship (RACF): For female seniors pursuing a degree in science, technology, engineering or math at a four-year college or university. Two awards of $1,000 each. Deadline 4/10/2020.
- GardenScape Professional Association/Ted Burnett Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For horticulture/landscaping students residing in the Genesee-Finger Lakes region and pursuing post-secondary education. Number of awards and amounts vary; awards range from $600 to $1500. Deadline 2/4/2020.
- Lorraine Halsch Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For students who have overcome adversity and are pursuing post-secondary education. $3,000 renewable for four years. May be split between two or three recipients. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- William Jackson Hawley Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors in Monroe County who have a parent undergoing cancer treatment or recently died from cancer. One award of $3000; may be split between two or three recipients. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Hickey-Freeman Tailored Clothing, Inc. James J. Monley Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For dependent children of Hickey-Freeman Tailored Clothing, Inc. employees pursuing post-secondary education at an accredited 2- or 4-yerar college or university. Three awards: $5000, $2500, $1000. Deadline 6/1/2020.
- Louis P. and Betty A. Iacona Nursing Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors pursuing a career in nursing. Number of awards and amounts vary; minimum $1000. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Rodney B. Janes Business, Vocational or Technical Award (RACF): For younger adult students (between the ages of 16 and 30) residing in and attending or entering post-secondary business, vocational or technical school or programs in Monroe County, NY. Two awards of to $2000 each; award may not exceed cost of tuition/program/course). Deadline is 4/15/2020.
- Jennifer Grimes Lindley Scholarship (RACF): For female seniors planning to pursue a degree in engineering. Two $1,000 awards. Recipients will also receive membership to the American Association of University Women (AAUW). Deadline is 5/1/2020.
- Gay R. Maney Reach for the Green Scholarship (RACF): For seniors residing in the city of Rochester who have participated in any type of golf related program and plan to pursue a college education. Two awards up to $2,000 each for four years. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Erin Marie Masling Scholarship (RACF): For seniors who are pursuing a post-secondary education despite the effects of cystic fibrosis or another chronic medical condition or illness. Multiple awards of a minimum of $500. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- William E. McKnight Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For Urban League Black Scholar seniors pursuing post-secondary education at a four-year college. Up to $2,500, renewable for up to four years. Deadline 4/10/2020.
- Monroe Tractor Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors and current college undergraduate students interested in studying agriculture or agriculture management. Various awards. Deadline 2/15/2020.
- James R. Moran Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors who identify as LGBTQ and are pursuing post-secondary education. One award of $1000. Deadline 6/15/2020.
- Nautilus Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursuing a degree in architecture, construction, construction management, a related field or a program leading to teacher certification in a STEM field. $1,250. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- New York State Restaurant association (Rochester Chapter) Scholarship (RACF): For students attending programs in the food service industry. Number of awards and amounts vary; maximum award $2000. Deadline 3/10/2020.
- Notre Dame Club of Rochester – Social Concerns Scholarship (RACF): For students participating in the Notre Dame Social Concerns program. $1,500. Deadline: Contact the Notre Dame Center for Social Concerns in January.
- Joseph Parungao Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For vocal students enrolled in at The Hochstein School. Up to four awards of $450 each.
- Rochester Cavalry Troops Scholarship (RACF): For soldiers, their spouses, and their dependent children who are connected to units, detachments and elements of the New York Army National Guard located in Monroe County. Number of awards and amounts may vary; historically up to $10,000. Not to exceed tuition costs. Deadline 6/15/2020
- Rochester LGBTQ Scholarship (RACF): For graduating seniors who identify as LGBTQ and are pursuing post-secondary education. Multiple awards, amounts vary; minimum $1000. Deadline 6/15/2020.
- Rochester Regional Joint Board, Workers United – Abraham D. Chatman Scholarship (RACF): For dependent children (as described per union rules) of members of local unions affiliated with Rochester Regional Joint Board, Workers United. Up to three awards of $2000 each. Some awards are renewable. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Rochester Telecommunications Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursuing a degree in the fields of telecommunications, technology, information or data technology or a related field. Two awards, up to $5,000 each renewable annually for up to four years. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Julian and Adrienne Simpkins Scholarship (RACF): For seniors pursuing post-secondary education. Up to five awards of $500 each. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- STEM Scholars Scholarship (RACF): For seniors residing in the city of Rochester planning to pursue a degree in science, technology, engineering or math at a two or four year college or university. $3,000, renewable up to four years. May be split between two or more recipients. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Barbara D. Sutherland Scholarship (RACF): For students from the Middle East attending any college or university within the eight-county region of greater Rochester. One award of $3000; may be split between two or three recipients. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Tops Friendly Markets Music Scholarship (RACF): For seniors attending the Eastman School of Music. $2,000. May be split between two recipients. Deadline: Contact the Eastman School of Music beginning in January.
- Dobe E. Ulmer Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For seniors who are hardworking, focused, thoughtful, caring, selfless and dedicated to continuing learning. $1,000. Deadline 4/15/2020.
- Xerox Sales Agency – Fred Murray Memorial Scholarship (RACF): For dependent children of either Xerox Sales Agency Owners or full-time agency employees pursuing post-secondary education at a 2- or 4-year college or university. Award up to $1500; may be split between two or three recipients. Deadline 4/15/2020.
Skincare Ox – The Beauty + Wellness Scholarship for Women: Each quarter $1000 + a care package filled with healthy, organic goodies to young women who are striving to maintain their health and wellness as they pursue their higher education goals. Must be a HS senior, a female and a U.S. Citizen/Permanent Resident. All majors and GPAs may apply. Deadlines are January 1, March 31, June 30 and September 30 every year. All applicants must submit a 500 word maximum essay on the essay prompt found online at https://www.skincareox.com/scholarship/. Student essays will be judged on their originality, creativity, and dedication to healthy lifestyle choices.
UNCF (United Negro College Fund): The UNCF is the nation’s largest and most effective provider of minority scholarship assistance. Visit the UNCF website at https://uncf.org/ and select “Scholarships” to begin the process to determine for what scholarship(s) you might be eligible. For questions, call 202-810-0300 or text “FUNDS” to 50555.
Urban League of Rochester List of Scholarship: http://ulrochester.force.com/scholarships and link to other Scholarships: http://www.ulr.org/Programs/YouthEducationDevelopment/BlackScholars/LinkstoOtherScholarships.aspx
YMCA of Greater Rochester Multicultural Scholarship Program: For graduating college-bound seniors of color to pursue a cause driven career or volunteer relationship within the Y movement. Minimum GPA of 3.0, a record of volunteerism in the community and participation in extra-curricular activities required. Award ranging from $1,000 - $3,000. YMCA Multicultural Scholarship Application Please note, in light of the current global crisis, please instead send your application and materials to the attention of Deanna Rose, Vice President for Human Resources, YMCA OF GREATER ROCHESTER, 444 East Main Street, Rochester, NY 14604. Deadline has been extrended to 5/31/2020.