MISSION STATEMENT for SOCIAL STUDIES
The mission of social studies education in Pittsford Central School District is to develop responsible and productive citizens who will:
- Strive for understanding of political, social and economic issues.
- Make informed and reasoned decisions for the good of society.
- Participate as members of a culturally diverse society in an interdependent world.
As a result of participating in the PCSD Social Studies program, students will be able to independently …
- participate actively and effectively as an informed citizen of a democracy;
- critically appraise historical and contemporary claims/decisions/issues;
- respect diverse cultures and honor equality and human dignity;
- apply lessons of the past in order to anticipate and prepare for the future;
- analyze the complex interactions between humans and the environment;
- apply economic principals to solve complex problems.